Sunday, May 17, 2009

Family Matters





Recently, I had the privilege to meet with my Rivero family to honor my father's sister, Anita Miller, who died after a very long and meaningful life. I was there with Pop, Elaine and John, and Pheme. It was such a pleasure to see all my cousins, young and not so young, who have had so many different life experiences, but who have in common with me our membership in the Rivero family. It was great to meet with the lovely and gracious Rockie, the warm and funny Andrea, and so many others. Pop is the last of his siblings still alive, and it was fun to see "Uncle Marky" being greeted by his many nieces and nephews. We're a pretty far flung group, with Jeanette,Julie and Martin holding down the fort for the family on the East Coast, and my sister JoAnn representing from the Northwest. I was impressed with the warmth and welcoming nature of the cousins, even though we don't get to see each other very often. It was a beautiful day in San Franciso, and my cousin Maria gets a big thank you for hosting the shindig at her sailing club. I'm sorry some faves like Auntie Dot, Dona and Linda couldn't attend, but I was thrilled to see my cousin Greg, whom I haven't seen since we were kids, catching lizards in the back yard. All in all, a lovely event, and I appreciated the opportunity to talk about our common memories of Grandma and Grandpa Rivero, the homestead in the Sunset, and all the aunts uncles and cousins. yes, family does matter.

1 comment: